Butterfly Sparks Designs

Thursday, January 29, 2009

... my new bff...

sunscreen. because clearly my skin is no friend of the sun.  my dermatologist so graciously removed 4 freckles/moles from me, and 2 of them were evaluated as "severly dysplastic nevus'"- basically moles with severe cell changes. this is the stage before they turn into melanoma. 
so unfortunately for me, one of those dysplastic moles was on my jawline.  when the doctor got the results back, they showed that the mole had already begun changing the healthy skin around it and the borders weren't clear (meaning she hadn't removed all of what needed to be removed.)  she referred me to a surgeon, and my appointment was made.  

i should have gotten a final picture of my face the way i knew it.  never again would i have an unblemished, unscarred face (or jawline) again. bummer. i had no idea how much skin she would remove!  steve went into the surgery with me, and he was enthralled with the procedure. he was quite the trooper! he got a disgusting photo with my camera phone during the surgery, and i'm SO tempted to post it.  any of you know how i can post it by getting people to click on it only if they want to see it? it's a bit too disturbing to just post straight-out.  some of you with weak stomachs would not be happy with me. (if you really wanna see it, just message me and i'll send it to you over email :))

i left her office with a gynormous bandage (see below) and was instructed to treat my wound very gently. no laughing, eating burgers (no prob), smiling, chewing gum, or doing basically anything that moves my jaw for the first 2-3 months. this area is a difficult place for a scar to heal well and the least amount of movement for the area the better.  hmmm. i just might be in trouble...

DAY ONE:

(i'm really excited in this picture). they gave me flesh colored tape to cover the dressing- doesn't it make a difference? you can hardly see the mound of gauze and tape on my face. 

here is the actual wound during the first week:


i'm posting a pic that's a bit like a mug shot- kind of goes with the gnarly scar, don't you think? i'm trusting there will be a dramatic improvement over time...

here is a picture at ONE WEEK:

 
this one was taken yesterday.  it's about 2 inches and it's here to stay. ugh. it is definitely improving, though, so that's good. maybe next week (or like in one year) it will be unnoticeable! regardless, i'm choosing contentment. so there!


9 comments:

brad said...

So sorry to hear you had to go through this procedure. Nan has had two on her back removed and, like you, we were floored at how much had to be removed.

Praying for a speedy recovery for you!

April said...

Like I said on FB the other day, you're beautiful - inside and out! I'm so thankful you had it taken care of before it turned into melanoma! Yikes.

L said...

Ouch! I'm glad you had that looked at. Thankfully it's on your chin, but even so, you're so lovely that no scar could ever change that.

Woodard Gang said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that but thankfully they caught it in time! Thanks for sharing and for your honesty :) You are beautiful!!

Kelly Davis said...

Sorry to hear about that...but its great they took care of it early. I am sure it will continue to heal quick. On another note, me and Misty are really excited about vintage 242!

ManUtd17 said...

Glad that you had that looked at and taken care of.

Brooke Hammel said...

Randel - just so you know, it's at a great place on your jawline to where you can't actually see the scar line hardly at all. I just wanted to encourage you that you still look pretty and it's not bad!! So how did you know you needed to have it looked at??

clay kirkland said...

Daniel Baltz loves sunscreen. His famous saying is, 'Your skin is like a calculator; it keeps adding up.' Brilliant!

Burt Designs Photography said...

I missed this post. I wanted to let you know that it didn't look bad at all on Sunday. Also, I'm up for some detailed pictures. Send the picture my way. I'm so glad it went well.