Butterfly Sparks Designs

Friday, February 29, 2008

...going to the chapel...


have i written about anna katherine's love life? yes, i said LOVE LIFE. and yes, she's FIVE. what the heck? about 3 weeks ago, she started talking about "alex." Alex L to be exact. and every time she mentions his name she gets all giggly and smiley. we've never seen her respond to a boy in this way, and it's actually quite strange. i think it's cute, and steve is depressed because he feels like he's getting dethroned in anna's heart.
alex l is in the preschool class next door to anna katherine's. their two classes actually have playground time together, which is how they've gotten to know each other. i'm fairly certain he's the class clown- every time i've seen him he's been goofing off and anna katherine has been watching and giggling from across the playground. she seems to be admiring him afar, and i've wondered if alex l is actually in on this relationship too. does he know he has a girlfriend? because she's called him her boyfriend. when all the kids in her class received preprinted grocery store bought valentine cards from anna katherine, alex l received a one-of-a-kind homemade valentine with TWO pieces of candy attached. 
yesterday alex l gave her a ring. yes, a RING. and it looks like a diamond ring! maybe he IS in on this relationship too. she was quite excited to show it to me when i picked her up from school.  we quizzed her about how it happened, but she wouldn't reveal much. she actually gets quite embarrassed talking about him, and angry when we tell people about their "relationship." (don't tease her or you'll get me in big trouble.)  
she even got a love note (first ever i might add) from another boy- keaton- last week. keaton is in her class, and spent the entire first half of the school year kicking and shoving her.  
i can't believe all of this love stuff starts so early! hence the term "puppy love" i suppose. do any of you other folks have experiences like this? tell me it's gonna be alright...

5 comments:

L said...

LOL. A ring? Wow. Definitely sounds like he's in on it. I remember having my first crush in Kindergarten, which started Day 1 and believe it or not, lasted until I was a 7th grader! Is that even normal?! Don't answer that. He was just such a cute, nice boy. And I still think so - which is even funnier - although he is now engaged to one of our high school classmates.

ManUtd17 said...

Jen is going to flip when Keegan starts this stuff.

julie and joe said...

i have one that is boy crazy and one that isn't(yet). so maybe there is hope for steve with sara:)

david and carolyn said...

Your friend, David, would like to post a comment to your blog:

I had a crush at 4...I know I'm a guy and maybe that disqualifies me, but I don't remember it ruining my life/heart/social eptitude! I had to laugh about the special valentines with hearts, though...I remember getting a stuffed bear from a girl in 4th grade and throwing it away before I got home so my parents wouldn't find out...what a loser I was (am?). "Love is a battlefield."

Unknown said...

Who is this Alex fella? Canon will be quite distraught.