Butterfly Sparks Designs

Monday, October 27, 2008

... the anniversary i don't look forward to...

i'm a bit blue as i write this post because 12 years ago today my dad died. he was an amazing and remarkable man, and certainly the person who has had the biggest influence in my life. i wish i could post a few pictures of him so that you could see what he looked like (he was so handsome!), but he died before the age of digital images and i haven't scanned any of my prints yet. bummer.

my brother called me this morning, and asked me if it seems like it has been 12 years. i quickly answered "yes" because it's very apparent to me that it has been a ridiculously long time since i've heard his voice or seen his face.  12 years ago means he never met steve, didn't have the opportunity to walk me down the aisle,  and he never got to see or hold his grandchildren.  heck, he's about to miss my 40th birthday in 19 days.  many important events have transpired without him, and that really stinks.  even in the midst of missing him, i would be remiss if i didn't mention that one of the cool things about being a believer is i am confident that it's not the end of the story. i'll get to see and hug him again, and he'll hold my girls and love my husband. one day. thanks, jesus, for that confidence and gift!

3 comments:

The Maddron's said...

Amen! Thank you Jesus for giving us that confidence to be together at your feet one day.
Randel, I'll be thinking of you today. Love to you, Steve and the girls.

Travis Greene said...

12 years for me too. Half my life.

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died."
1 Thess 4:13-14

A Southern Wedding Belle said...

Randel - I remember your Dad from FUMC. He ushered in church. He was very handsome. That was before I knew and loved you. I wish I had known him. But I'm privileged to love his daughter.